The Suburban Land Question: A Global Survey
Ebook - ePub
Ebook - PDF
Published: March 2018© 2018
368 Pages, 6.03 x 9.00 x 0.82 in
As part of the urbanization process, suburban development involves the conversion of rural land to urban use. When discussing the suburbs, most writers focus on particular countries in the northern hemisphere, implying that patterns and processes elsewhere are fundamentally different. The purpose of The Suburban Land Question is to identify the common elements of suburban development, focusing on issues associated with the scale and pace of rapid urbanization around the world.
Editors Richard Harris and Ute Lehrer and a diverse group of contributors draw on a variety of sources, including official data, planning documents, newspapers, interviews, photographs, and field observations to explore the pattern, process, and planning of suburban land development. Featuring case studies from major world regions, including China, India, Latin America, South Africa, as well as France, Austria, the Netherlands, the United States, and Canada, the volume identifies and discusses the peculiarly transitional character of suburban land. In addition to place and time, The Suburban Land Question addresses the many elements that distinguish land development in urban fringe areas, including economy, social infrastructure, and legality.
Prologue: Photo Essay on the Spatial Morphology of Suburban Land Development
1. The suburban land question: introduction
2. Alternative peripheries: socialist mass housing compared to modern suburbia
3. Differentiated landscapes of suburban property
4. Beyond the suburban field
5. The morphology of dispersed suburbanism
6. The paradox of informality and formality
7. Comparing recent suburban developments in Austria and the Netherlands
8. Factors affecting development patterns in the suburbs of small to mid-sized Canadian cities
9. Latin American suburbia
10. Urban governance, land use, and housing affordability
11. An effective public partnership for suburban land development
12. Production of Land for Real Estate Markets in the Suburban Area of Chennai Metropolis
13. Conclusion: what are the suburban land questions?
"The Suburban Land Question builds upon key themes emerging in the field of suburban studies. The interrelationships between local land uses, forces for change within countries and transnationally, and the global picture of land uses in rapidly expanding and existing suburban contexts in the global North and South combine to make The Suburban Land Question a major contribution in the field of urban studies."Mark Clapson, professor of Social and Urban History, University of Westminster
"The Suburban Land Question provides a broad and impressive overview of suburban expansion (more specifically issues around land tenure, spatial planning, and development) on a global scale in the context of late 19th and 20th century urbanization."Sanjeev Vidyarthi, associate professor in the Department of Urban Planning and Policy and Senior Fellow in the Great Cities Institute at the University of Illinois at Chicago.