Digital Encounters: Envisioning Connectivity in Latin American Cultural Production
Published: November 2022© 2022
320 Pages, 6.00 x 9.00 in, 34 hft 3 maps 7 figures
Ebook - ePub
ISBN: 9781487538811Add to Wishlist
To understand the creative fabric of digital networks, scholars of literary and cultural studies must turn their attention to crowdsourced forms of production, discussion, and distribution. Digital Encounters explores the influence of an increasingly networked world on contemporary Latin American cultural production.
Drawing on a spectrum of case studies, the contributors to this volume examine literature, art, and political activism as they dialogue with programming languages, social media platforms, online publishing, and geospatial metadata. Implicit within these connections are questions of power, privilege, and stratification. The book critically examines issues of inequitable access and data privacy, technology’s capacity to divide people from one another, and the digital space as a site of racialized and gendered violence.
Through an expansive approach to the study of connectivity, Digital Encounters illustrates how new connections – between analog and digital, human and machine, print text and pixel – alter representations of self, Other, and world.
Cecily Raynor and Rhian Lewis
2. Translating (Publishing) Networks from Print to Pixel
3. Digital Geographies of the Hispanic Web
4. Print Then Digital: Material Reimaginations in Anacrón and Tesauro
5. (404) Page Not Found: Technology, Failure, and Disconnection in Zambra’s Mis documentos
María José Navia
6. C$U%B#A#+53: Glitches, Viruses, and Failure in Cuban and Cuban-American Digital Culture
7. The Poetics and Politics of Code: An Analysis Based on Chilean Digital Literature
8. Cyborg Citizenship in Keiichi Matsuda’s Short Film Hyper-reality (2016)
9. Eva Rocha: Digital Desaparecido in the Post-Internet
10. PretaLab: Afro-Brazilian Women’s Digital Autonomy
11. Encountering Virality in Latin(o) American Tactical Media Art
12. “Todas Tenemos Una Historia”: The Connective Storytelling of #MiPrimerAcoso
List of Contributors