The Board of Directors of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC) is now inviting applications for the position of Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Veterinary Medical Education, the flagship publication of AAVMC. JVME is an international, peer-reviewed, quarterly journal that focuses on best practices and educational methods in veterinary education; recruitment, training, and mentoring of students at all levels of education, including undergraduate, graduate, veterinary technology, and continuing education; clinical instruction and assessment; institutional policy; and other challenges and issues faced by veterinary medical educators. JVME is published by the University of Toronto Press and is distributed in print and online.
- Full authority over the production and editorial content of JVME, including the evaluation, selection, and editing of articles; and the timely delivery of each issue
- Provides leadership in implementing the strategic vision for the journal, maintains the journal’s standard of excellence, and continues to build upon the journal’s reputation as essential reading for its targeted audience
- Develops strategic plans for continuous improvement, optimizing resources, expanding readership, and increasing the relevance of JVME among academic faculty
- Develops and manages production processes and schedules to ensure the timely and consistent delivery of the journal, including:
- Soliciting and selecting material for publication
- Arranging for review of selected manuscripts by experts in appropriate field of study
- Working with authors to review manuscripts to improve clarity, development of ideas, and scholarly accuracy
- Maintains a high level of quality in the review and editing process, and applies ethical standards of scholarly publishing in accordance with the Guidelines of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (www.icmje.org)
- Works closely with the Editorial Board to determine content area, review criteria, intellectual standards, and targeted audiences; chairs all meetings of the Editorial Board; and serves as ex-officio member of the AAVMC Publications Committee
- Monitors and integrates the activities of the JVME business enterprise, which include the University of Toronto Press and eJournalPress
- Represents the JVME at professional meetings and participates in promotion and development activities for the journal
Criteria to be Considered Include:
- Experience in academic veterinary medicine or a related field
- Experience as an author/reviewer for veterinary journals
- Comprehensive knowledge of important issues in veterinary medical education
- Scholarly accomplishments within veterinary medicine
- Demonstrated research, writing, reviewing, and managerial skills
- Commitment to AAVMC’s mission and goals
- Ability to recruit exceptional associate editors and reviewers
- Excellent communication skills
- Five-year term of appointment
- Benefits include honorarium and some travel expenses
A complete application package will include curriculum vitae, a statement addressing the qualification criteria listed here, and a vision for how the journal might evolve.
The application deadline is November 30, 2012.
Please submit your application package to Mr. Andrew Zoeller [email@example.com].
AAVMC is an equal opportunity employer.
Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC)
1101 Vermont Ave., NW #301
Washington, DC 20005
Tel 202-371-9195, x126