Desk copies are available for books that have been adopted and ordered as required reading in an upcoming course.
You may request a desk copy in two ways:
1. THROUGH OUR WEBSITE’S EXAM AND DESK COPY SYSTEM:
- From the book’s web page, click on the “Request an Exam or Desk Copy” button (found below the cover image).
- If you aren’t logged in, once you click on the “Request an Exam or Desk Copy” button, you will be prompted to log in with your email address and password. If you don’t have an account, click on the “Register” button, found below “New Customers” on the right-hand side of the web page to create an account. Please note: you will be prompted to verify your email before account set-up is complete.
- If you are logged in and select the ”Request an Exam or Desk Copy” button, a form will open for you to complete. On the form, you will be asked to do the following:
- Identify your account type: Instructor, Teaching Assistant, or Administrative Assistant. Please note: teaching assistants and administrative assistants are limited to desk copy requests only.
- Under “Request Type,” please choose “Desk Copy.”
- Select “Format.” Note that instructors and teaching assistants may request desk copies in paper, digital, or both; administrative assistants can only request paper format desk copies on behalf of instructors.
- Complete the “Course Information” section.
- Click “Submit Request.”
- Please select “Proceed to Checkout.”
- Please fill in the required fields, click “I agree to the Terms of Service” and then click “Submit Your Order.” Please note – while there is a “billing address” section, no payment method is required.
- You are now at the “Receipt page.” Click on “Continue to University of Toronto Press (Publishing)” found in the upper right of the page to return to the home page.
You will receive an email when your request is approved.
Once approved, digital desk copies can be downloaded from your “My Account” page and require Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Note that ADE different from Adobe Reader or Acrobat. It is also necessary to have an Adobe ID if you wish to view your book on devices other than your computer. Click here to set up an Adobe ID. If ADE is not compatible with your mobile device or tablet, we recommend the BlueFire Reader. For iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads, please use Apple’s Safari browser when downloading content.
2. THROUGH EMAIL OR BY PHONE:
Email or phone us at
Desk Copy Requests
Tel: 416-978-2239 ext. 2240
Desk copy requests must include the book’s ISBN and title, the instructor’s name and mailing address, the course code and title, the estimated enrollment, the course start date, and the name of the bookstore where the order has been placed. All desk copy requests are subject to approval.
Email requests must come from a valid university or college email address. Please include the required information noted above. You may also send your requests directly to your assigned UTP sales representative. Find your sales rep here.
Estimated shipping time: Paper copy requests are delivered across North America within 7 to 15 business days; requests placed during the month of December may take longer. International requests may take longer depending on location.
Note: If you would like to request a book published by another press but distributed by UTP Distribution, please contact the book’s publisher directly.