University of Toronto Press offers an efficient and user-friendly exam copy system, allowing instructors to review books from our entire online catalogue to consider for course use. To provide instructors with access to potential course material quickly, and to cut down on the waste produced through the manufacturing and shipping of books, most UTP titles are available as digital exam copies that can be viewed on your computer, phone, or tablet.
UTP will continue to offer the option of physical exam copies of certain coursebooks. For these physical books, we kindly ask that you limit your requests to three or fewer at a time; if you are not confident that the book is a serious contender for course adoption, please support us by purchasing it instead or by requesting a digital exam copy.
STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS FOR ACCESSING DIGITAL EXAM COPIES
You can find a book by using the search feature or click “Books” in the top menu to access our online catalogue. You can browse by subject, by series, or by imprint.
- Once you are on a book’s web page, click on the “Request an Exam or Desk Copy” button (found below the cover image). If you aren’t logged into your account you will be prompted to log in with your email and password.
- If this is your first time making a request, you will be directed to the “Login or create an account” page. You must create and activate your account before completing your request. Once activated, please return to the book’s web page to make your request.
- If you already have an account and are logged in to the site, once you are on a book’s web page, click on the “Request an Exam or Desk Copy” button (found below the cover image).
- If you are logged in and select the “Request an Exam or Desk Copy” button, a form will open for you to complete. On the form, you will be asked to do the following:
- Identify your account type: Instructor, Teaching Assistant, or Administrative Assistant. Please note: teaching assistants and administrative assistants are limited to desk copy requests only.
- Under “Request Type,” please choose “Exam Copy.”
- Select “Format.”
- “Digital” is available for the majority of books, and “Paper” is an option for select coursebooks.
- Complete the “Course Information” section.
- Click “Submit Request.”
- If this is your first time requesting an exam copy, your request must be verified and you will be notified by email when your account is confirmed and your exam copy is available for download.
- If you are a returning instructor, you will be taken to “Your Cart” to verify the selection.
- Please select “Proceed to Checkout”.
- Please fill in the required fields, click the “I agree to the Terms of Service” and then click “Submit Your Order.” Please note – while there is a ‘billing address’ section, no payment method is required.
- You are now at the “Receipt page”. Click on “Continue to University of Toronto Press (Publishing)” found in the upper right of the page to return to the home page.
- From here, previously approved users can “Go to your account” (found at the top of every page) to download their books immediately.
- If this is your first request, please watch your inbox for emails confirming your registration and the approval of your digital exam copy. Account approvals take one to two business days.
- Digital exam copies require Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). (Note that ADE is different from Adobe Reader or Acrobat.) It is also necessary to have an Adobe ID if you wish to view your book on devices other than your computer. Click here to set up an Adobe ID.
- If ADE is not compatible with your mobile device or tablet, we recommend the BlueFire Reader. For iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads, please use Apple’s Safari browser when downloading content.
- In the “My Exam Desk Copies” section of “My Account,” click on the word “Approved (digital)” that appears under the heading “Request Status” to access your digital exam copy. (If you see the words “not yet available” or “pending,” this means the file is not yet published or temporarily unavailable.)
- Your digital exam copy will expire 45 days from initial approval. If you need more time, please go back to the book’s web page and make another request. One additional request is permitted per title. For any assistance, please email email@example.com.