University of Toronto Press offers an efficient and user-friendly examination copy system, allowing instructors to review books from our entire online catalogue to consider for course use. To find your next course book, follow these three steps:
1. Browse or search our website to find a book you'd like to examine.
2. Click on the "Request an Exam Copy" button underneath the book cover.
3. Follow the instructions to download your book. Repeat!
To allow professors access to potential course material quickly, and to cut down on the waste produced through the manufacturing and shipping of books, most UTP titles are now available as digital exam copies that can be viewed on your computer, phone, or tablet.
UTP will continue to offer the option of physical exam copies of certain course books, primarily those published by our Higher Education Division. For these physical books, we kindly ask that you limit your requests to three or fewer at a time; if you are not confident that the book is a serious contender for course adoption, please help us keep costs down by purchasing it instead or by requesting a digital exam copy.
Step-by-Step Process for Accessing Digital Examination Copies
- Click “Books” in the top menu to access our online catalogue. You can browse by subject, by series, and by imprint.
- Once on a book’s webpage, click the “Request an Exam Copy” button (found below the cover image).
- Click the “Register” button, found below “New Customer” on the right-hand side of the webpage to create a UTP account. With this account you can purchase books and request exam/desk copies. If you already have an account, please log in with your email address and password.
- After you register with your name, email address, and password, you will be asked to choose your account type: Instructor, Teaching Assistant, or Administrative Assistant. Teaching Assistants and Administrative Assistants are limited to desk copy requests only.
- For “Type” please choose “exam copy” and fill out the necessary institutional and course information. Hit “Submit Request.”
- You are now at the “Thank you” landing page. From here, previously-approved users can visit “My Account” (bolded mid-paragraph or found at the top of every page) to download their books immediately. If you have just registered as a new customer, please watch your inbox for emails confirming your registration and the approval of your digital exam copy. Account approvals take one to two business days.
- Digital format exam/desk copies require Adobe Digital Editions (this is different than Adobe Reader or Acrobat). It is also necessary to have an Adobe ID if you wish to view your book on devices other than your computer. If ADE is not compatible with your mobile device or tablet, we recommend the BlueFire Reader. For IOS devices such as iPhones and iPads, please use Apple’s Safari browser when downloading content
- In the “My Exam Copies” section of “My Account,” click the word “download” that appears under the “Link” heading to access your digital exam copy (if you see the words “not yet available” or “pending,” this means the file is yet-to-be-published or temporarily unavailable).
- Your digital format exam copy will expire 30 days from initial approval. If you need more time, please go back to the book’s webpage and make another request (one additional request permitted per title). For any assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.